Thursday, November 6, 2008

The meet

I ran in the cross country meet today. Our school won the girls division because we have Hannah Kirkegaard. She's the fastest girl in Ventura County or something. So after the girls finished the guys lined up at the starting line. Of course the losers that can't run for beans line up at the very front so all the fast people are stuck in back. So I'm in back with all the slow people that know they're slow and fast people that got pushed back. The siren went off and everyone started running. After about ten steps some idiot that was right next to me on my left starts sprinting and cuts me off. And because we were still in sight of the crowd I didn't push his sorry butt over. So I started doing a one-footed hop trying to slow down, when the guy kicks me in my shin. So I fell forward and landed on my already aching wrist. I accidentally cussed a little bit, pushed myself off, and took off after our slowest guy. I passed him. Then I passed one of my friends named Nathan. So I eventually caught up with Spencer who is our third fastest runner and I told him what happened (still running). He shook his head and smiled. So we're not even a quarter of a mile into the race and I have a kicked shin and a fractured wrist that had recently held all of my weight and my downward velocity. Spencer and I ran side by side until about a mile in to our two and a half mile race we saw our fastest guy, Sean, walking on the side of the path. He wouldn't talk to us so we passed him and later found out that he had cramped up really bad. Then I realized that with Sean out of the race, we had no chance of winning on our own course, so I took off to at least get in the top twenty because from what I could tell I was in thirtieth. I could hear Spencer pounding it out behind me so I went faster. My hand is still killing me and my leg isn't helping much either. I passed the crowd that had moved from the starting line to the halfway point and I saw Sean's dad. I told him something was wrong with Sean. Sean was strong and if he was walking something was seriously wrong. I kept going and then I heard Spencer so I turned around and he was right there. We had three turns and four straightaways left. We kept running and passing people and then we were on the home stretch and I heard some dad saying "Run Paul, He's right on top of you!". I looked at the kid in front of me and he looked at the guy and nodded. Then he started sprinting. I smiled. There was no way I was going to give him the pleasure of beating me. I sprinted after him. Then I passed him. Then I finished. I got twentieth place out of a hundred something. Spencer got twenty-second. Sean got rid of his cramp and went from sixtieth or something all the way back to twenty-sixth. It was a good (good=painful) race. I kind of typed this like it was a made up story, but this is what actually happened.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

i hate it when you hurt! i'm so proud of you for being strong and fast...you finished a great race today! (no more cussing!)

Steph! said...

YAY CODY!!!